Sunday, October 14, 2012

PB Apple Chippers


Last fall, I came across a recipe for “Apple Peanut ButterCookies” on the Taste Of Home site. It sounded interesting and had gotten some good reviews. Since I love Peanut Butter and Apples, I thought I would give this recipe a try - with a few of my own adjustments of course!

The original baking temp was 375F but I found that a bit too hot and the cookies were over-baked around the edges so I reduced the temp to 350F which resulted in a much more even bake. I altered the proportions of shortening and Peanut Butter from 50/50 to 25/75. Rather than using all purpose flour entirely, I did a 50/50 split of all purpose and whole wheat. I reduced the cinnamon slightly as I am not a huge fan of cinnamon and didn't want it to overwhelm the other flavours. I upped the quantity of grated apple. And of course I added chocolate chips!

After all. what could be more tempting than a combo of Peanut Butter, Apple and Chocolate!?!

The result was a soft, flavourful cookie that is perfect to serve anytime with a nice cold glass of milk or a mug of hot chocolate!

PB Apple Chippers


1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/4 cup grated peeled apple, firmly packed (3 medium, peeled cored and grated)
1 cup crushed peanuts
2 1/2 cups mini chocolate chips

In a large bowl, cream the shortening, peanut butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in apple, peanuts and chocolate chips.

Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Do not over-bake! Cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks. Makes about 9 dozen.

Enjoy!

dn

No comments: