Sunday, January 16, 2011

dn's Scalloped Potatoes

I’ve been kind of hungry for scalloped potatoes for awhile but just never seemed to have the extra time needed to make them. It's not that much extra work, but I just never felt like doing all the slicing. Sure I could have pulled out my food processor and done it in a couple of minutes - but then I would have had to clean it and ... well ... that also seemed like to much work so I just didn't do it.

When I finally did get around to making them this past weekend, I couldn’t find my old recipe so I decided to wing it and just see what happened! I've never been good at making cream sauces or rues from scratch, so I opened the cupboards and the fridge and looked for ingredients that I thought would make an interesting blend of flavours.

Luckily I made notes as this turned out to be absolutely fabulous and very flavourful!! The mushroom soup and Monterey Jack cheese keep it very creamy. The Ranch Dressing and the sour cream give it just a bit of zip. Lots of onion and a bit of seasoning just to put the final touch on it all. Oh, and I also used low fat or fat free versions of the soup, dressing, sour cream and cheese so this is pretty much guilt free comfort food!

I served it with mini meatloaves and some baked squash! Talk about a perfect meal for a winter evening!

mmmmm.... so good!!

dn's Scalloped Potatoes


4 medium white/russet baker potatoes (about 1 1/4 -1 1/2lbs)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can cream of mushroom soup (low fat and low sodium)
1/3 cup light Ranch Dressing
2/3 fat free sour cream
1 cup grated light Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Spray a 2 quart/litre deep baking dish with Pam. Wash and pat dry the potatoes. (Do not peel the potatoes) Slice into very thin slices. Chop the onion and set aside. Combine the last 6 ingredients in a bowl and set aside.

Spread 1/4 of the potatoes evenly on the bottom of the casserole dish. Top with 1/4 of the onions then 1/2 cup of the cream soup mixture. Repeat layers - finishing with the remainder of the cream soup mixture. As you are layering, try to spread the layers out as evenly as possible without disturbing the layers below. This will make for maximum coverage and more even cooking.

Cover with lid or foil and place on a foil lined baking sheet in a pre-heated 375F oven. Bake for 45 minutes, then uncover and continue baking for about 45 more minutes or until potatoes test done with a fork. Serve with a meatloaf or baked ham and a vegetable or salad.

Makes 4 servings

Notes:
- You could use other types of potatoes and peel them if you wish but I prefer russet potatoes and love the skins so why peel off the extra nutrients?!
- Other white cheeses or creamed soups could also be used but this is my favourite combo.
- This recipe will boil over in the oven so putting the dish on the foil lined baking sheet eliminates a lot of clean up!

Enjoy!

dn

No comments: