Sunday, March 9, 2008

Oven Roasted Veggies

I enjoy cooking. I always have. What I really like is playing with different recipes and finding new ways to tweak a recipe depending on what I am in the mood for or what's in the fridge and pantry. They aren't all winners but I always learn something and am making notes on what I did differently. My sister and my mom do this all the time. My maternal grandma was a home economist from the 1920's through the 50's. She was always trying new recipes, so I guess we come by this honestly!

Anyway, today, I thought I would share one of my favourite "whatever ya got" recipes. Have fun and I hope you like it!

dnsyl57's Oven Roasted Veggies

Spray a 2 litre/quart casserole dish with Pam. Fill with thinly sliced carrots, chopped onion, sliced fresh mushrooms, sliced celery, sliced zucchini, and chopped red pepper. Use whatever quantities you prefer.

In a separate bowl combine;
1 Tablespoon low-calorie Italian Dressing
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1 Tablespoon white cooking wine (or top up the dressing and juice if omitting wine to make up the missing liquid)
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1 1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper

Pour over veggies and mix well. Bake uncovered @ 350F for about 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes until done to your liking. When you have about 15 minutes left to cook, you could stir in 1 - 1 1/2 cups of broccoli florets. Return to oven till tender.

Try other veggies such as fresh green beans, cauliflower, green peppers, etc.
I have also made this using a combination of potatoes (scrubbed, unpeeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces), onions and red peppers.

You can also try other dressings such as; House; Roasted Garlic and Herb; Greek; or Sundried Tomato and Herb. Try other spices such as oregano; Mrs. Dash; Garlic Pepper or dill. Use your imagination!

Makes 5 - 6 servings.

dn

No comments: